Wednesday 12 September 2012

Innovation leashed: Apple iPhone 5


It's surprising how big events in life change what you do and the way you do it. Today is exactly one such day. I sit and think to myself what's the biggest sports news I want to write about. The only thing that hits my head Apple and whether Tim Cook will match the great Steve Jobs in any way. There are questions in my head on whether Apple will still hold onto its # of innovation ending today.

Courtesy: Google Images


I sit and wonder whether there is a reason for me to write about Apple and the Iphone 5 launch which is what the world is talking about.Well, there is always a connect between two things and the one that I am looking for is much simpler,Sportsmen use phones.

Courtesy: Google Images


We all carry our phones everywhere we go. Strangely, phones are now the new societal barrier. They are also a pretty cool tool to stereotype. It's like a Blackberry user is boring, an Android kid is curious and cool, an Apple loyalist is hmm.... loyal and Windows,well they are still finding their ground.

The point I am making here is that brands spend enormous amount of time, effort and money into shaping up their stereotypes which in brand/PR terms are called 'evangelists.'
What happens when you can't stick to your niche anymore? Unfortunately, Apple has forced me into thinking whether the reason it sued Samsung was because it is slowly losing confidence in its own products.

Courtesy: Google Images


Speculation around Apple's downfall has already begun. Many believe Apple might not be the innovator it once was, it might just be a brand that is associated with upgrades and loads of money. What happens when Apple launches the iPhone 5 and its mini iPad and its 'loyalists' are not satisfied and want to see Apple recreate some Steve Jobs magic again.

The way I see it, the three things the world might see if Apple follows its path of minor upgrades in the name of massive launches are:

  • Respect for Steve Jobs goes up further
  • Another twist in the Apple story
  • Expectations from Apple go down, which means the platform for an innovation is set

Apple is a global giant, however deep it falls conversations around the brand will never end. Apple launches a product, the media will write about it, review the product, feature it on cover pages and the whole cycle will ensure the brand remains popular and desired.

Here's hoping for a breakthrough Apple device!!!






1 comment:

  1. I'm such an Apple fangirl, & I'm awed by the latest announcement. My iPhone 4 seems so 'old' now. *sigh*
    About downfall, I can't predict the future. I remember when I was in school, Nokia was considered the best & now it's not. Things change, although I don't think Apple will be falling from it's pedestal anytime soon.
    I'm having a giveaway on my blog & I'd love for you to enter: http://www.magalic.com/2012/09/giveaway-win-wittygift-experience-box.html :)

    ReplyDelete